Date: 12th May 2021 at 10:50am
Written by:

Ger Gilroy has been speaking on the latest installment of the OTB Football podcast, where he urged Manchester to sign Seamus Coleman ahead of the upcoming summer transfer window. 

The Republic of Ireland has been enjoyed a good run of games in recent weeks, starting five of Everton’s last six Premier League fixtures.

Coleman’s shown his versatility under Carlo Ancelotti as well, playing in a back four and a back five this season, and his impressive displays have led to Gilroy urging to make a move for the 32-year-old.

He said: (2:22) “If you’re one of those top teams, Coleman’s performances at right-back, at right-wing back, as the third man in a three-man defence would suggest that he could legitimately hold his own, or play a role, for almost any team in the Premier League.

“Would Man United not be happy having him as the third man in a trio of central defenders? Suddenly adding a little bit of pace next to the slowcoaches beside him, or as the right-wing back, or somebody to teach Aaron Wan-Bissaka, ‘this is how you’re supposed to play’, right.

“So, Bissaka plays 70% of the game, Coleman plays the other 30%, but suddenly there’s strength in depth and with the big European games, you’re like, ‘come on now Seamus, come on’.”

Do Manchester United need to sign a world-class centre-back?

YES

YES

NO

NO

TIF Thoughts on Coleman to United…

Although Coleman, who is valued at £6.3 million (as per Transfermarkt), has had a stellar career at Everton, his best days are perhaps behind him as his lowly 6.66 WhoScored rating shows.

United’s transfer policy under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has seen the 20-time English champions priorities younger acquisitions, so we can’t see them making a move for Coleman this summer.

In other news: ‘Make a massive difference’ – BBC pundit reveals how Man United can make themselves