Celtic

Tony Watt defends Rangers against Willie Miller

|
Image for Tony Watt defends Rangers against Willie Miller

Ex-Celtic forward Tony Watt has surprisingly went against Willie Miller’s comments advising Aberdeen midfielder Ryan Jack not to join Rangers.

The Sunday Post claimed earlier in the week that the 25-year-old midfield enforcer would have a medical within the next 72 hours as Pedro Caixinha closes in on his first signing following his March appointment.

However, despite there not yet being any signs of a medical there has been mass discussion about the potential signing and on Tuesday former Dons man Miller told that he would prefer Jack to move to England rather than Glasgow.

“It’s a shame he is going but you have to respect his right to do that. But Ryan shouldn’t jump in,” said Miller, as quoted by the Daily Record.

“I had the chance to join Rangers in 1983 and would have got far more money but I stayed with the Dons as I felt they offered me the best chance of winning trophies.

“On the evidence of recent season, you would have to say the same applies today.

“I have no doubt that Aberdeen will continue to challenge for honours under Derek McInnes but could Ryan be sure of doing that if he goes to Ibrox?

“But I would still rather Ryan ended up in England than at Rangers.”

But, not everyone agrees with the view of Miller, and one surprising comment came from former Celtic man Watt, who stated on his personal Twitter account on Tuesday that Jack was doing the right thing for his career and that Derek McInnes has the Dons “massively overachieving.”

Of course it is surprising to see an individual with Celtic ties jump to the defence of Rangers given the hatred between the two Glasgow clubs.

The current Charlton striker spent three years at the Hoops between 2011 and 2014 with his standout contribution coming against Barcelona in the 2-1 Champions League win in 2012

Share this article

TT