Tottenham Hotspur manager Antonio Conte has identified a centre-forward and centre-back as his two main targets for the January window.
This is according to transfer guru Dean Jones, who has been speaking about the Lilywhites’ transfer plans on the latest episode of the Chasing Green Arrows podcast.
It has been a tricky start to the 2022/23 campaign for Spurs, with injuries to three of their main forward options plaguing Antonio Conte’s squad in recent weeks.
And with just two more Premier League games separating Conte and the January window, Jones believes the Italian has already provided Fabio Paratici with his demands.
He said: “What I was told is that for the January transfer market, Conte will lay out two things that he wants: a centre-forward and a centre-back.
“So I think a lot of people were thinking right wing-back’s got to be his top priority, Emerson Royal needs to go, who’s gonna play there? And I spoke to someone today [Monday], I said, is that going to be the number-one thing? He said the first things I’m told he wants are a forward and a centre-back.”
TIF Thoughts on Dean Jones’ Spurs comments…
It is hard to disagree with the notion of signing another centre-forward when Harry Kane has been forced to play almost every minute so far this season.
What is the more important target this January?
Conte’s options have been so sparse in recent weeks, the Italian was even forced to play versatile wing-back Ivan Perisic up top with Kane on Sunday against Liverpool.
Defensively, Spurs started the season off in fine form, however, that form has disappeared in recent weeks and it does seem as if reinforcements are needed in January.
Alessandro Bastoni has been their big target at centre-back over the last window, but it is difficult to imagine Inter being open to selling a player of his calibre in the winter window.