Journalist Phil Hay has relayed Leeds United owner Andrea Radrizzani’s comments on the club’s swoop for Charles De Ketelaere.
When news first emerged linking the Belgian starlet with a move to Yorkshire it left One Leeds Fan Channel host Conor McGilligan beside himself such is the talent of the 21-year-old.
He earned the nickname ‘King Charles’ and produced 18 goals and ten assists in a season which saw his former side Club Brugge face Manchester City in the Champions League and he garnered praise from Pep Guardiola who was left impressed by De Ketelaere’s performance.
However, from the outset, it was apparent that the Whites would have to beat AC Milan to his signature and in an interview with The Athletic that was released on Friday, club owner Andre Radrizzani talked about the club’s pursuit of the up-and-coming talent which Hay has relayed.
Speaking on the Phil Hay show he said:
(5:58) ”He said to us that they had a deal agreed with Bruges for €40m for him. That it was a 50/50 call between Milan and Leeds and clearly he’s gone to Milan and signed for Milan, but given the impression that it was in the balance for a while and it was possible he admitted that he feels in hindsight he should have gone to Belgium or Leeds should have gone to Belgium to try and wrap that up sooner.
“He thinks if they’d gone a little bit earlier while Milan, in his words were sleeping, they could well have got that done.”
TIF Thoughts on CDK and Leeds…
Are you pleased with Leeds' business so far?
As Radrizzani described it De Ketelaere would have been the ‘icing on the cake’ this summer for Jesse Marsch’s side but it wasn’t to be for the Yorkshire outfit.
Now for the remainder of the window it remains to be seen whether the club will look to acquire an alternative option who could lead the line.