Journalist Fabrizio Romano has revealed that Frenkie de Jong remains “relaxed” despite ongoing speculation surrounding his future and a potential move to Manchester United.
The Italian journalist was speaking on The United Stand YouTube channel regarding United’s transfer plans, of which De Jong has been at the centre so far this summer.
The Athletic reported at the end of May that Eric ten Hag has urged the club to ‘explore’ a potential deal for the midfield maestro, with a reunion with his former Ajax player thought to be ‘plausible’.
On Friday, Romano revealed that the Red Devils made an opening bid of €60m plus €10m in add-ons (£61m) but Barcelona had rejected their initial offer, and amid the ongoing discussions between the two parties, the 2018/19 Champions League Midfielder of the Season is keeping his cards close to his chest.
Romano said: “On the player’s side, the answer I’m receiving in the last hours is Frenkie hasn’t said anything to anyone about his future.
Do you see De Jong leaving Barcelona for Man Utd?
“Frenkie, at the moment, is really relaxed and he has not given any indication to anyone on his future, so he’s waiting to see what happens with Barcelona, of course.
“He knows Xavi would love to keep him at the club, but he also knows that the financial situation of Barcelona is complicated, and so this is why he is waiting to understand what happens between Manchester United and Barca.”
TIF Thoughts on De Jong to United…
Will United make the top four next season?
Fans will be clamouring for the Old Trafford outfit to fork out the extra £12m or so and bring in the 25-year-old who was once labelled a ‘beast’ by his current manager Xavi.
He would be a tidy addition to the ranks having directly contributed to 30 goals since his move to La Liga in 2019, including scoring 13 despite his reserved position, so it will be interesting to see if the clubs can come to an agreement.